Santiago D. Echemendia has been a zoning lawyer for 30 plus years. Throughout his career, he has concentrated on municipal law with an emphasis on land use and zoning, including appeals, property rights, and governmental relations.
Thirteen years ago, he “stumbled” into the Out of Home business due, in part, to his zoning and local government experience, and has since developed an expertise in Out of Home permitting, development, operations, and sales.
He started by representing Outfront Media in securing City Commission approval for their Billboard Settlement Agreement with the City of Miami, and subsequently entering into a Development and Settlement Agreement with them; he also procured a settlement agreement between, now SDE, and the City of Doral, pursuant to which he has developed, owns and operates, 5 billboards – including one digital face and has one more permit to develop.
He was involved in a First Amendment challenge to the City of Miami Gardens’ sign ordinance, which didn’t settle; a federal lawsuit challenging a municipalities’ sign ordinance; numerous administrative hearings with the Florida Department of Transportation regarding billboard spacing and relocation issues; numerous zoning hearings regarding billboard entitlements.
He has represented landowners on relocations, ground leases, easements, management agreements for City of Miami Murals, sign ordinances, and the development of billboards; and he manages development issues/initiatives, leases, operational issues, and sales for SDE.
He is regularly consulted with regarding the viability of Out of Home developments, and is currently involved in a few billboard and other Out of Home format development projects.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® attorney, Santiago has been recognized as a ‘Top Lawyer” by South Florida Legal Guide and has been listed by the Legal 500 in zoning.
He served as Board Counsel to the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe, and as Special Counsel to the City of West Palm Beach, the City of Miami and the Town of Medley on its led ordinance. He also served for five years as Board Counsel to the Governing Board of the South Florida Water Management District.
- University of Miami, L.L.M. in Real Property, Land Development, and Finance
- Georgetown University, J.D.
- Georgetown University, B.A.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional And Civic Activities
- Member, OAAA and FOAA
- Member, The Florida Bar
- Former Member, Miami-Dade Planning Advisory Board
- Former Board Member, South Florida Regional Planning Council
- Former Board Member, Miami-Dade Housing Finance Authority
- Former Member, Board of Directors of the FIU-Wolfsonian Museum
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rated
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, 2009-2015
- 2008-2010 Finalist for South Florida Business Journal Key Partners Award
- Finalist, Top Dealmaker for the Camillus House Land Swap Transaction, MDBR, 2007
- Zoning recognition in the Legal 500, 2008 and 2009 editions